Here is a brief listing of major milestones in the history of the Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering. For more detailed information please see the ABE History Volume One & Two below (pdf versions)

  • 1892--First correspondence courses on agricultural engineering related subjects.
  • 1904--Baccalaureate course "Agricultural Engineering Lectures" required of all students in the School of Agriculture.
  • July 1, 1913--Ralph U. Blasingame, first agricultural engineer, appointed as instructor of agronomy.
  • February 1, 1920--J.R. Haswell appointed as first extension agricultural engineer.
  • November 20, 1920--Board of Trustees approved the establishment of the Department of Farm Machinery with Ralph U. Blasingame as Head.
  • March 27, 1930--Curriculum in Agricultural Engineering approved. Name of the Department of Farm Machinery changed to the Department of Agricultural Engineering.
  • June 1932--First B.S. degrees awarded in Agricultural Engineering.
  • June 1933--First M.S. degree awarded in Agricultural Engineering.
  • November 14, 1940--Agricultural Engineering Building dedicated.
  • December 31, 1951--Ralph U. Blasingame retired as Head of Department of Agricultural Engineering. Arthur W. Clyde appointed as Acting Head.
  • August 1, 1954--Frank W. Peikert appointed Head of Department of Agricultural Engineering.
  • September 28, 1954--Joint administration by the Colleges of Agriculture and Engineering approved.
  • October 1956--Agricultural Engineering curriculum approved by the Engineers' Council for Professional Development (ECPD) for a five-year period.
  • June 2, 1964--Agricultural Mechanization curriculum approved by the University Senate.
  • April 16, 1968--Ph.D. program in Agricultural Engineering approved.
  • March 1972--First Ph.D. degree awarded in Agricultural Engineering.
  • August 31, 1975--Frank W. Peikert retired as Head of Department of Agricultural Engineering. Howard D. Bartlett appointed Acting Head.
  • January 12, 1976--Agricultural Engineering Extension Section integrated into the Department of Agricultural Engineering.
  • June 1, 1976--Harold V. Walton appointed Head of the Department of Agricultural Engineering.
  • February 2, 1983--Master of Agriculture degree program in Agricultural Mechanization approved.
  • July 31, 1985--Harold V. Walton retired as Head of the Department of Agricultural Engineering.
  • August 1, 1985--Dennis E. Buffington appointed Head of the Department of Agricultural Engineering.
  • August 25, 1986--Minor in Agricultural Engineering approved. Name later changed to Minor in Agricultural and Biological Engineering.
  • March 13, 1987--Minor in Agricultural Mechanization Technology approved. Name later changed to Minor in Agricultural Systems Management.
  • March 16, 1990--Options in Food Engineering and Agricultural Engineering within the Agricultural Engineering major approved by the Board of Trustees.
  • November 9, 1990--Name change of Department of Agricultural Engineering to Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering approved by Board of Trustees.
  • November 9, 1990--Program name change of Agricultural Mechanization to Agricultural Systems Management and Technology approved by Board of Trustees.
  • March 18, 1994--Program name change of Agricultural Systems Management and Technology to Agricultural Systems Management approved by Board of Trustees.
  • March 18, 1994--Graduate program name change from Agricultural Engineering to Agricultural and Biological Engineering approved by Board of Trustees.
  • March, 1996--Undergraduate program name change from Agricultural Engineering to Agricultural and Biological Engineering approved by Board of Trustees.
  • July 1, 1996--Harvey Manbeck appointed interim department head.
  • July 1, 1998--Roy E. Young appointed Head of the Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering.
  • July 12, 2002--Minor in Off-Road Equipment approved by Board of Trustees.
  • January 1, 2008--Biological Engineering became the name of the undergraduate engineering program formerly named Agricultural and Biological Engineering.
  • June 30, 2010--Roy E. Young retired as Head of the Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering.
  • July 1, 2010--Paul H. Heinemann appointed Head of the Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering.
  • July 12, 2013--BioRenewable Systems undergraduate program approved.
  • November 22, 2013--BioRenewable Systems graduate program approved.
  • September 2016--New building construction and renovation begins.
  • May 2018--New building completed.
ABE History 1892 - 1976 Volume One (pdf)

PDF document, 14.2 MB

ABE History 1976 - 2012 Volume Two (pdf)

PDF document, 364.1 KB

Additional Information About the Beginning of Ag Engineering at PSU

PDF document, 1.3 MB

A Pictorial Timeline: History of the Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering (PDF)

PDF document, 9.0 MB

Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering

Address

105 Agricultural Engineering Building
Shortlidge Road

University Park, PA 16802

Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering

Address

105 Agricultural Engineering Building
Shortlidge Road

University Park, PA 16802