The most frequently asked questions regarding advising in the Biological Engineering major.

Q: Does Biological Engineering still include Agricultural Engineering?

A: Yes, absolutely! Agricultural Engineering is an option under the Biological Engineering major. We also offer the Food and Biological Process Engineering Option and the Natural Resource Engineering Option in the BE major. This is an exciting time for the Agricultural Engineering field, as it is evolving rapidly with advanced machinery systems utilizing robotics and precision techniques for agricultural crop production.

Q: Who is my advisor?

A: If you have been admitted to the Biological Engineering as your major, you will be assigned a department advisor in the major. If you aren't sure who that person is, you can check "My Advisors" in your LionPATH account for advisor information, or contact the B E program coordinator.

If you are a pre-major Engineering student at University Park, you will be assigned a professional advisor through the Engineering Advising Center, 208 Hammond Building. You can schedule a meeting with a B E faculty advisor during their office hours at the Engineering Advising Center by calling 814-863-1033.

If you are a pre-major at a Penn State campus location other than University Park, you will be assigned an advisor at that location.

Q: What do I need to do to get into the Biological Engineering major?

A:The Entrance to Major (ETM) requirements are specified based on the semester you started at Penn State. Typically, they include completing ETM courses with a C or better, maintaining a certain cumulative GPA, being ready to apply for a major within a specified credit window. It is very important that you understand the ETM requirements and process! Be sure to consult with an advisor if you have questions.

Q: I'm not currently in the College of Engineering, but I want to pursue the B E major. Do I need to change to the College of Engineering?

A: Many BE students start in other colleges (particularly the College of Agricultural Sciences). If you stay in your current college, you will be automatically changed to the College of Engineering when you complete the ETM requirements and are admitted to the BE major. However, the disadvantage of not switching to Engineering before that time is that a few courses during the first two years (e.g. EDSGN 100, EMCH, ME 300) require that you be a pre-major Engineering student to enroll. Otherwise, you will need to contact the department offering the course, explain the situation, and ask them to enroll you in the course.