Paul M. Smith, Ph.D.
- B.S., University of Montana
- M.S., University of Idaho
- Ph.D. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Bio (forest) products marketing — technology-driven product/market development, customer delivered value, international trade show use and effectiveness, content analysis, biorefinery value chain outputs, social asset mapping, stakeholder assessment, and Pennsylvania's forest industry.
Recent Courses Taught:
Bioproduct Marketing & Sales, BioRenewable Systems Colloquium, Applied Bioproducts Marketing, Forest Industries Marketing Management; Wood Products Sales and Sales Management
Fellow and Past President, Society of Wood Science & Technology (SWST); Executive Board Regional Representative and Past Chair, Forest Products Society (FPS); Past Chair, US National Planning Committee for Forest Products Research; Adjunct Professor, Washington State University; Consultant for the Food & Agricultural Organization (FAO, Rome, Italy), the International Tropical Timber Organization (ITTO, Yokohama, Japan), and over 50 private firms; Honorary member, Alpha Epsilon and Xi Sigma Pi.
Current Research Projects:
- Stakeholder Assessment of a Regional Woody Biomass-to-Biofuels Supply Chain Dr. Jillian Moroney (U. of ID) is examining informed stakeholders' perceptions, experiences, trust and potential acceptance/ rejection of the emerging biofuels industry in the US Pacific Northwest.
- Market Opportunity for Aviation Fuels Ibon Ibarrola, Universidad Politecnica de Madrid and CLH Aviation and Dr. Season Hoard (WSU) are examining the market opportunity for biojet by assessing aviation fuel supply chains in the US Pacific NW and Southeastern Spain.
- Biorefinery Value Chain Co-Product Outputs Min Chen, PhD (PSU) and Stephen Cline, M.S. (PSU) are examining factors affecting biorefinery value chain outputs.
- Evaluating International Trade Show Strategies and Performance Dr. Wenping (Wendy) Shi, (PSU) is investigating the underlying structure of trade show performance by examining exhibitor activities at the the largest furniture supplier trade show in China.
- Content Analysis of B2B Advertising Daniel McGraw, PhD (PSU) and Min Chen (PhD, PSU) are exploring the reliability of using content analysis to assess the promotional messages of decking products to professional builders.
- Physical and Social/Community Asset Mapping Natalie Martinkus and Dr. Sanne Rijkhoff (WSU) are developing decision tools to aid in siting biorefineries based on both biogeophysical and social assets.
- Biofuel Laws and Policy Kristina Dahmann, J.D. and Lara Fowler J.D. (PSU) are providing an historical perspective on U.S. state and federal biofuel policy developments, with an emphasis on how these legislative tools will impact the biofuels industry.
Selected Recent Publications:
Dahmann, K.S., L.B. Fowler, and P.M. Smith. 2016. United States Law and Policy and the Biofuel Industry, included in a Volume on “The Law and Policy of Biofuels” co-editors, Yves Le Bouthillier, Annette Cowie, Paul Martin and Heather McLeod-Kilmurray, Edward Elgar Publishing, IUCN Academy Series. In press.
Shi, W. and P.M. Smith. 2015. Effects of International Trade Show Marketing Strategies on Trade Show Performance: Does Experience Matter? Wood and Fiber Science, 47(1): 96-108.
Daniel F. McGraw, Paul M. Smith, and Min Chen. 2015. Content analysis of decking material business-to-business advertisements: 2002-2014. Wood and Fiber Science, 47(1):84-95.
Martinkus N, W. Shi, N. Lovrich, J. Pierce, P. Smith, and M. Wolcott. 2014. Integrating biogeophysical and social assets into biomass-to-biofuel supply chain siting decisions, Biomass and Bioenergy 66 (2014) 410-418. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0961953414002086.
Shi, W. and P.M. Smith. 2012. Exploring Market Opportunities for American Hardwoods Through Chinese International Furniture Supply Trade Shows. Feature Article in Forest Prod. J. 62(2):80-89
Lovrich, N., W. Shi, N. Martinkus, P. Smith, J. Pierce, A. Kulkarni, M. Gaffney, M. Wolcott, and S. Brown. 2012. Integrating Social Capital In Biojet Feedstock Facility Siting Decisions. In Proceedings of the Sun Grant Initiative 2012 National Conference: Science for Biomass Feedstock Production and Utilization, Oct. 2-5, 2012. New Orleans, LA, USA. Ch. 4, Modeling and Metrics. 8pp. http://sungrant.tennessee.edu/NR/rdonlyres/8CF2F183-8B72-4E48-9E2F-BCAB4E421C7A/3626/42Lovrich_Nicholas.pdf
Brown, S., N. Frye, D. Montfort, and P. M. Smith. 2012. Understanding Faculty and Practitioner Involvement in a Capstone Interdisciplinary Design Experience. In Proceedings of the 118th Annual Conference and Exposition of the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE), June 26-29, 2011. Vancouver, BC, Canada. AC 2011-1635. 11pp. Avail. 1/2012: http://www.asee.org/public/conferences/1/papers/1635/view.
Martinkus, N., A. Kulkarni, N. Lovrich, P. Smith, W. Shi, J. Pierce, M. Wolcott, and S. Brown. 2012. An Innovative Approach to Identify Regional Bioenergy Infrastructure Sites. In Proceedings of the 55th International Convention of Society of Wood Science and Technology, August 27-31 in Beijing, CHINA. Ch. 3, Energy and Carbon (EC-3), 11pp. http://www.swst.org/meetings/AM12/pdfs/papers/EC-3.pdf
Shi, W., P.M. Smith, and S. Zhang. 2012. The Effects of International Trade Show Marketing Strategies on Trade Show Performance: A Preliminary Analysis. In Proceedings of the 55th International Convention of Society of Wood Science and Technology, August 27-31, 2012, Beijing, CHINA. Ch. 1, Global Trade (GT-5), 10pp. http://www.swst.org/meetings/AM12/pdfs/papers/GT-5.pdf
Shi, Wenping and P.M. Smith. 2011. Overview of International Furniture Markets in China: Groundwork for Future Research. In Proceedings of the Joint IUFRO Group 5.10 (and UNECE/FAO Team of Specialists) conference in Corvallis, OR June 15-18. 12 pp. (CD).
Ruffing, T.C., Wenping Shi, N.R. Brown, and P.M. Smith. 2011. A Review of U.S. and International Formaldehyde Emissions Regulations for Interior Wood Composite Panels. Wood & Fiber Sci., 43(1):21-31.
Stank, J. and P.M. Smith. 2011. Branding in the North American Woodfiber Plastic Composite Industry. Forest Prod. J., 60(6):541-546.
Ruffing, T.C., P.M. Smith and N.R. Brown. 2010. Resin Suppliers’ Perspectives on the “Greening” of the North American Interior Wood Composite Panel Market. Forest Prod. J. 60(2):119-125.
Ruffing, T.C., P.M. Smith and N.R. Brown. 2010. North American Resin Suppliers’ Green Perspectives. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Wood Adhesives 2009. Sept. 28-30, South Lake Tahoe, NV. Pp. 8-10.
Ruffing, T.C., N.R. Brown, P.M. Smith, and W. Shi. 2010. CARB Formaldehyde Emission Standards: An International Perspective. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Wood Adhesives 2009. Sept. 28-30, South Lake Tahoe, NV. Pp. 30-34.
Smith, P.M. and W. Shi. 2010. “Green” Policies and the US Interior Wood Composite Panel Supply Chain. In Proceedings of the 44th International Wood Composites Symposium held in Seattle, WA, USA. Mar. 30. 12 pp.
Wolcott, M.P., B. Olson and P.M. Smith. 2010. Building products in the new sustainable economy. In: Proceedings of the 44th International Wood Composites Symposium, Seattle, WA, March 29-31.