Paul Heinemann, Ph.D.
- B.S. Meteorology 1980
- M.S. Agricultural Engineering 1982
- Ph.D. Agricultural Meteorology 1985
Areas Of Interest
Engineering for Fruit Production Systems, Systems Modeling, Specialty Crops Mech
ABE 559 - Biological and Agricultural Systems Simulation
- DEPARTMENT HEAD—Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering. July, 2010-present.
- PROFESSOR OF AGRICULTURAL AND BIOLOGICAL ENGINEERING—Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering. July, 1999-present.
- ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF AGRICULTURAL ENGINEERING—Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering. July, 1994-June, 1999.
- ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF AGRICULTURAL ENGINEERING—Pennsylvania State University, Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering. September, 1988-June, 1994.
- POST-DOCTORATE PROJECT ASSISTANT—Pennsylvania State University, Department of Entomology. January, 1987-August, 1988. Integrated Pest Management expert systems programmer and programmer manager.
- POST-DOCTORATE PROJECT ASSISTANT—Pennsylvania State University, Department of Agricultural Engineering. January, 1986-September, 1987. Greenhouse systems modeling, plant tissue cultures.
- Ph.D. Agricultural Meteorology—University of Florida, December, 1985. Dissertation work involved simulation models for the prediction of cooling of the environment during Florida frost nights using planetary boundary layer and surface energy balance models.
- M.S. Agricultural Engineering—Pennsylvania State University, November, 1982. Thesis project involved development of a specialized sensor to detect damaging temperatures in apple orchards during frost nights.
- B.S. Meteorology—Pennsylvania State University, May, 1980.
Research Interests and Responsibilities
- Specialty crop mechanization and automation
- Applications of artificial intelligence to agricultural systems management and control
- Mushroom Production — substrate preparation and SMS odor reduction
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Li, C., P.H. Heinemann, and J. Irudayaraj. 2007. Detection of apple deterioration using an electronic nose and Znose. Trans. ASABE. 50(4):1417-1426.
- Li, C., P.H. Heinemann, and R. Sherry. 2007. Neural network and Bayesian network fusion Models to fuse electronic nose and surface acoustic wave sensor data for apple defect detection. Sensors & Actuators, B: Chemical. 125:301-310.
- Li, C., and P.H. Heinemann. 2007. A comparative study of three evolutionary algorithms for surface acoustic wave sensor wavelength selection. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical. 125:311-320.
- Koc, A.B., P.H. Heinemann, and G.R. Ziegler. 2007. Optimization of whole milk powder processing variables with neural networks and genetic algorithms. Food and Bioproducts Processing. 85 (C4):336–343.
- Li, C., and P.H. Heinemann. 2007. ANN-integrated electronic nose and zNoseTM system for apple quality evaluation. Trans. ASABE. 50(6):2285-2294.
- Li, C., P.H. Heinemann, and P.M. Reed. 2008. Genetic Algorithms (GAs) and Evolutionary Strategy to Optimize Electronic Nose Sensor Selection. Trans. ASABE. 51(1):321-330.
- Bechara, M.A. P. H. Heinemann, P. N. Walker, V. L. Wilkinson, C. P. Romaine. 2008. Cultivation of Agaricus bisporus and Agaricus blazei on substrates composed of cereal grains and oilseeds. Biological Engineering. 1(1):65-78.
- Bechara, M.A., P.H. Heinemann, P.H., P.N. Walker, C.P. Romaine. 2008. Effect of Delayed-release Supplements in Grain-based Substrate on Yield of the Mushroom Agaricus bisporus. Transactions of ASABE. 51(4):1501-1505.
- Bechara, M.A., P.H. Heinemann, P.H., P.N. Walker, C.P. Romaine. 2008. Enhanced production of Agaricus bisporus using non-composted substrate in the presence of delayed-release supplements and control agents for water release. Biological Engineering. 1(3):245-253.
- Bechara, M.A., P.H. Heinemann, P.H., P.N. Walker, A. Demirci, and C.P. Romaine. 2009. Evaluating the addition of activated carbon to heat-treated mushroom casing for grain-based and compost-based substrates. Bioresource Technology. 100(19):4441-4446.
- Williams, A.L., P.H. Heinemann, C.J. Wysocki, D.M. Beyer, and R.E. Graves. 2010. Prediction of odor pleasantness using electronic nose technology and artificial neural networks. Applied Engineering in Agriculture. 26(2):343-350.
- Baugher, T., J. Schupp1, K. Ellis, J. Remcheck, E. Winzeler, R. Duncan, S. Johnson, K. Lewis, G. Reighard, G. Henderson, M. Norton, A. Dhaddey, and P. Heinemann. 2010. String Blossom Thinner Designed for Variable Tree Forms Increases Crop Load Management Efficiency in Trials in Four U.S. Peach Growing Regions. HortTechnology. 20(2):409-414.
- Bechara, M.A., P.H. Heinemann, P.N. Walker, and C.P. Romaine. 2011. A Two-phase Solid-state Fermentation Process for Mushroom (Agaricus bisporus) Production on Cereal Grains. Biological Engineering Transactions. 4(4):219-229.
- Keklik, N., A. Demirci, V.M. Puri, and P.H. Heinemann. 2012. Modeling the inactivation of Salmonella Typhimurium, Listeria monocytogenes, andSalmonella Enteritidis on poultry products exposed to pulsed UV-light. Journal of Food Protection. 75(2):281-288
- Baugher, T.A., P.H. Heinemann, J.S. Schupp, and K.M. Lewis. 2013. Innovations in peach thinning. Compact Fruit. 46(3):23-25.
- Zhao, Z., P.H. Heinemann, J. Liu, J.R. Schupp, and T.A. Baugher. 2014. Design, fabrication, and testing of a low-cost apple harvest-assist device. ASABE Paper No. 141839738. American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers. 13 pp.
- Agricultural and Bioproducts Production
Specialty Crop Production Systems